Overpopulation of the Earth
Overcrowding is a surplus of population in relation to livelihoods or the demand for labor. That is, if not all of the population of the planet is in demand, and not all the population is provided with resources for existence, then they say that the planet is overpopulated by people. It is precisely this state of things that is observed on Earth.
Photo by James Cridland, link to the original (photo has been changed).
Generally speaking, everything is not as bad as many think. And if you evaluate the individual points, then it becomes obvious. Well, for example, take the density of the population – it shows the ratio of the number of people to the area occupied by them space. And if you look at the density map of the population (see below), it is noticeable that many countries have a higher density of people per square kilometer. But if you look at the whole world as a whole, then it is clear that the Earth can accommodate both 2 and 3 times more people.
Population density map
It is not very difficult to calculate how many people can feed the cultivated and extracted food. They say about 25 billion. That is, death from starvation to mankind, probably, does not threaten. And if you take into account that science is constantly developing, thanks to which it is possible to achieve success in agriculture, increasing the quantity and quality of production … In general, hunger does not threaten us.
And what is the problem then? Probably, the fact that the planet does not withstand such a load. Natural resources do not have time to recover. A large number of people on the planet promotes the rapid destruction of nature. Dying out entire species of animals and plants, polluting the reservoirs, air, earth … Nature is by no means impotent. There are many mechanisms that allow nature to recover. Waterbodies and air can self-clean, animals and plants – to evolve. But for all this nature, we need time that we do not give it. We are too much, and nature does not have time to recover from the damage it inflicts on it.
Reasons for overpopulation
– The warm climate makes it possible for a large number of people throughout the year to live in unsuitable for housing conditions. On the population density map (above) it is noticeable that overpopulated countries, for the most part, are located close to the equator – there is warmth. In countries with a cold climate, people are wondering if they can provide children with housing.
– The low level of education does not allow to really assess their needs and opportunities, as well as carry out family planning.
– Cultural and religious traditions of some countries prohibit the use of contraceptives and abortions. Also, many of them violate the rights of women, as a result of which they sit at home, farm and give birth to children.
– Poverty and poverty, oddly enough, also contribute to population growth. It happens because of the psychology of people. If the family had a decent income, then it would probably be worth thinking about whether it should be lost, increasing the number of children. And so …
Or, for example, if a poor family is not able to heal a relative from a disease and that dies, then family members are stressed and start a child in order to make up for the loss. The same is true of countries where wars often take place. It would seem that they should reduce the population, but not! Everything is accurate and vice versa.
Consequences of overpopulation
– Lack of fresh water. This is already observed in many countries now, and over time, the problem will only be aggravated. To take the same Africa – some people die from thirst, others – from low-quality used water. So many humanitarian missions have been committed to provide the people with the necessary water to Africa … And do they want to save themselves? Africa is one of the leaders in population growth. If this goes any further, then no humanitarian aid will save you from thirst.
– Lack of food. In some over-crowded countries, a large number of people (about a quarter of the population) are malnourished, due to which they have health problems. Yes, the Earth is capable of feeding 25 billion people, but these countries are not capable. There is not enough space for sowing, bad conditions for growing food (we still remember that over-crowded countries are located in warm, and even dry regions?). Well, there are too many people to feed everyone. It goes to the fact that more than half of the population of some countries are unemployed and are not busy. How to feed everyone here.
– Cost of vegetable food. Because of the increasing number of people, you need to grow more food. But vegetable food can not be grown in unlimited quantities. And if we add the fact that for various reasons the arable land is getting smaller, then it is not surprising that livestock breeding comes to the fore. They can be engaged in unsuitable conditions for agriculture, and thus the received products are very caloric and valuable. It is not surprising that some countries have almost completely switched to livestock breeding. Only here for animal feed is necessary p